Saturday, October 12, 2013

Too much baclofen?

Well, Yesterday she cried/screamed from 7 AM-4 PM.

Her nights have all been good (besides the 2 desaturation/seizures the other night).

Last night we gave her baclofen every 3 hours.

Today she is sleeping.  She will moan a bit here and there but has not been crying or screaming.

I am wondering if we gave her too much baclofen.  The rehab Dr. said the first 48 hours are te worst, so we are through that.

Oral baclofen can make you more sleepy than intrathecal (in her spinsl fluid).  Oral baclofen has more systemic (whole body) effect.  There is unfortunately no mathematical equation to convert intrathecal baclofen to oral, it is trial and error and trying to find a balance between having muscles relaxed, but not making the person too sleepy.

She is very very bloated.  They had added in some miralax to help with constipation.  I know that Miralax makes her bloated (even though it does clear her out), that is why she doesn't get it anymore.  However we didn't want her to get too constipated so I agreed to let them give it to her with the stipulation that we only do it for a few days.  We may have to stop...her stomach looks like she is going to explode.  I also asked if the flagyl can make her bloated, infectious disease said it could.


1 comment:

Amy said...

Screaming? Oh Ellie! I hope the doctors can find the perfect dose of baclofen to give you so you are "just right".