Sunday, October 6, 2013

Surgery in the morning

Surgery in the morning at 11 AM.  Neurosurgery will be there (they are the ones who do baclofen pump surgery) and orthopedic surgery will be there also.

I am saddened and a little scared because I have never met the orthopedic surgery Dr.  Our old Dr. (Dr. Klatt) was our favorite Dr. and he moved to Colorado.  So it will be the new Dr. that took his place (Dr. Hefflin).

I am still uncertain what neurosurgery plans to do.  I am assuming pull out the baclofen pump and tubing.  But neurosurgery has not checked back in with me to tell me the specific plan.

Orthopedic surgery does not want to remove the rods.  They said they will look in the incision that Neurosurgery makes and see if the infection continues up her back.  If they have to they will make a larger incision.  But if they don't have to they are not going to open her up any more than they have to.  If they see infection they will clean it out, but if they can't see anything they will just treat it with antibiotics.

I am fairly certain we will be going home with a PICC line and several months of antibiotics again.  I really thought we were through with this whole spine infection thing.

If they remove the baclofen pump it will also mean taking oral baclofen (by g-tube) and risking her developing worse contractures than she already has.

3 comments:

Jennifer Adams said...

Oh Wow!!! I am so sorry! This has been a long journey for your family. Keeping you and Ellie in my prayers.

As Molly Turns... said...

I so hope it is contained and you come home fast. Give Ellie my love!

Amy said...

Yikes. I was hoping to avoid surgery. But, if that's the fastest and most efficient way to get Ellie better, than so be it.

Hope it looks good in there.