More fevers yesterday and this morning.
I had mentioned that her arm with the PICC line was getting pink. So they thought she may be allergic to the rocephin. So they were going to start giving her a dose of benadryl before each dose.
However, then this morning they saw on her wound cultures that the bug was not susceptible to rocephin, so they were going to switch her back to zocin. I thought this was good news because it explained the fevers. The rocephin wasn't helping her at all. And it is a different bug than her spine infection was. Before we found this out I was starting to get worried that we would need to go back into surgery to find another pocket of yuckiness.
Then they came back a little later and said they were going to switch her antibiotic again. The bug that is growing is a VERY resistant ecoli. She is now on precautions (the Dr.s and nurses have to put on masks and gowns before entering her room). They are not sure what antibiotic to put her on that will kill this thing. For now they are putting her on ertapenum as her only antibiotic. I have never heard of this antibiotic and she has never had it that I know of. They have even asked me that when I leave the hospital room that I need to wash my hands so I don't spread this to the rest of the hospital. This sounds bad.
I have not talked with infectious disease yet today, but hope to talk with them tomorrow or later today.
More prayers please...to bring Ellie and our family comfort, that the Dr.'s may find a good solution and that Ellie's body will respond well to the treatments they come up with.
3 comments:
Sending prayers for you all. I hope for Ellie to be comfortable and not in pain.
prayers, hugs and love sent to Ellie and your family.
Yes, bucket-loads of prayers!!
Post a Comment