Sunday, October 13, 2013

Clarification

The nurse was the one who told me that "they don't know what to put her on to kill this thing".

After I spoke with the Dr., I think the nurse was joking and I took it literally.

The Dr. said yes, it is a very resistant ecoli growing from the wound cultures.  It is resistant to the cephalosporins which is what the rocephin is.  But it is susceptible to the penum family (meropenum and ertapenum).  Meropenum is a more specific antibiotic that does not kill as many bugs, so they chose to put her on ertapenum which kills more bugs.

I asked if they think this will kill the bugs, they said yes.

I asked if she has MRSA and they said no because that is for staph infection, hers is ecoli.

She is congested and has needed oxygen all day yesterday and today which is not normal. They sent of a VRP (snot) to see if she caught something while here in the hospital.  It still sounds like it is mostly upper airway and not into her lungs, yet.  We are going to up her vibrating vest from twice a day to three times a day.

They are hoping that getting her on the right antibiotics now will help her be less sleepy, get rid of the fevers and make her not be congested.

But it is possible that #1) she has a cold or flu or pnemonia developing #2) that we are giving her too much medication (baclofen, valium, etc) and that is making her sleepy.

Nothing is growing out of her blood cultures that they did yesterday.

She is not doing well.  We hope that she will turn around in the next day or two with this new antibiotic.

The orthopedic surgeon left a spot open for her in his surgery schedule tomorrow (Monday) afternoon if he needed to open her back up again.  But I don't think we will know by then.  We need to give the new antibiotic more time.

They really need to invent a way to get blood cultures to grow more quickly.  48 plus hours is just too long.  She has been on the wrong antibiotic because we have been waiting on the cultures to grow.



2 comments:

Dan said...

We continue to pray for Ellie. I fasted for her today. I had a bad infection in my leg and the first round of antibiotics did not help at all. Once they figured out which one to use I saw a lot of improvement. I'm hoping for the same outcome for Ellie!

Amy said...

Oh dear, not good news. I'm sorry Ellie. And Mikael. :(