Today in church (here at PCH) I just started thinking about all of my blessings. We have had quite a few bad things happen during this hospital stay (I couldn't go on my trip to Chicago with Jason, our furnace died, We got a spider crack in our van windshield, our sewer backed up onto the carpet in the basement, our muffler (or something) is going out and the brakes on the van need to be replaced, my GI issues with pregnancy and being in the hospital and that's not to mention the stress of figuring out what is wrong with Ellie, then surgery, then withdrawal, finding medication dosages and now pneumonia).
So now that you know some of the "bad" I would like to share some of the blessings I have seen with you.
#1) The infection could have waited to reappear until after the new baby came when I would then be forced to choose between staying home with my baby or being here with Ellie. I would not want to bring a new baby to the hospital with me, but the baby would need to be fed. Right now the baby is protected by my immune system. What a blessing.
#2) We did not have to replace the furnace. We were able to repair it for only about $200. My Dad and brother had connections to a cheap honest guy.
#3) The majority of the time when the furnace was broken and the house was freezing Jason was gone to Chicago and the kids were at my parents so no one had to suffer (too much).
#4) They were able to find the part for the furnace. They typically only make parts for 20 years and our furnace is 18 years old.
#5) The first few days Ellie was here I was still hopeful that I could still go on my trip to Chicago with Jason. Ellie took a slight turn for the worse right at the critical moment I needed to decide whether to go or not. It allowed me to decide to stay and then things went crazy and it was sooooo good I was here. I wouldn't have been able to enjoy my trip anyway if things had gotten bad while I was gone.
#6) Ellie got sick the week before I went to Chicago, what if she hadn't gotten sick until I was already gone?
#7) Ellie was able to communicate that it was her abdomen (I thought belly...but close enough) that was hurting her so we were able to concentrate our search efforts there.
#8) Ellie continued to by symptomatic (fevers and CRP) in the hospital so they didn't just send us home blaming "over-reactive parent syndrome".
#9) Delta issued me a voucher (the dollar amount I paid for my ticket) that I can put towards another flight within 1 year. I really thought they would say "too bad, so sad." And now I get to go on a trip!
#10) We were able to find the infection on ultrasound even though we were unable to do an MRI. Ultrasound is not a great way to find infection...they really needed to do an MRI but couldn't due to a previous implanted device that she has.
#11) The spider crack in the windshield will definitely need to mean a whole new windshield, but it is in the corner of the passenger side...so you can still drive with it and our inspection isn't for almost a whole year. So there is no pressure to get it fixed immediately.
#12) The sewer backup only got small little corners of 2 areas of the carpet...so it will be easy to clean and dry out. It could be MUCH worse.
#13) We jointly own a carpet cleaner and carpet blower and carpet tools to relay the carpet...so we won't need to purchase or rent anything to fix the carpet.
#14) The same pipe that backed up the sewer this time had backed up not too long ago and I am pretty sure it is still under warranty from the guy I had come out last time (I think it was a 90 day guarantee) so that will be free to have him come out and clear it again.
#15) Jason looked at the muffler (or whatever it was) and said it will be a quick, easy, free fix with a little welding help from my brother. It is great having a handy husband and family!
#16) I had arranged for child care for while I was gone on my trip to Chicago, so that week I didn't have to worry about the kids. And then the next week my Mom (who is a teacher) had the whole week off from school (for UEA/Fall break) so she could help watch them that week. Plus my Mother-in-law happened to be visiting from Arizona so she could help with the kids also.
#17) I have great family and ward members who are always willing to lend a hand in watching the kids while I am in the hospital.
#18) The kids have been good while I have been away. It is really hard on them to be off their schedule and not have Mom there.
#19) Ellie is improving, albeit slowly.
#20) One of my night classes is unexpectedly done for the semester...I didn't realize it was a block class (1/2 semester) until the last day of class (this week). So that is a BIG relief. My other classes are pretty easy.
#21) My other teachers (for my remaining classes) have been very understanding and either letting me get out of assignments, or doing alternative (not in class) assignments.
#22) The Dr.'s and nurses for this hospital stay have overwhelmingly been good. I have really enjoyed being in NTU (comparatively).
#23) I have felt very comforted by the Lord from everyone's prayers and fasting on our behalf.
#24) I have THE BEST HUSBAND IN THE WORLD who manages the whole house and fixes things and takes care of the kids and makes meals and helps with homework and goes grocery shopping and gets the kids to their lessons and does laundry and EVERYTHING while I am in the hospital.
#25) I have the Gospel to help me maintain perspective and receive revelation and peace.
5 comments:
Well said. Hoping for a better week.
I am so glad you have been granted peace. I'm blessed by your sharing so much of your journey. Even though it scares me A LOT, I could very well go through things like this with Becca. It strengthens me to read that you can find peace in stressful situations. I pray for you often. <3
So amid the conflict, whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged; God is over all.
Count your many blessings; angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey's end.
That is my prayer for you and Ellie today!
Bishop Gull
Beautiful! Love all your thoughts. Thanks for sharing them. It is encouraging and uplifting and gives me a better perspective too. I Love you Mikael. And Ellie too!
I didn't know you were expecting. Congrats!
Post a Comment