Sunday, October 6, 2013

Good news...Bad news

I had good news this morning with her VRP being down.  But then we got some not-so-good news this afternoon.

When they did the ultrasound they found some fluid along her baclofen pump tubing.  It is more than likely infection.  Neurosurgery is deciding what to do now.  They have her off of any food (prepping her for surgery).

I am assuming that they will remove the baclofen pump and tubing and clean out any infection.  Then at a later date they would have to do another surgery to replace the baclofen pump.

 I do not know if this stems from the spine infection last year...I am assuming so.

I have been contemplating today if I would choose to do the spine surgery again because it was a big recovery, then got infected, then 6 months of antibiotics, and more than likely it is what caused her to no urinate on her own anymore, and now if this is related another infection and another surgery and more antibiotics.  I think I still would as crazy as that sounds.  I really like no putting a back brace on her everytime I want her to sit up, it also fused her spine so she won't grow taller, it is easier to get her dressed and move her around (she is not quite the sack of potatoes that she was before.)

1 comment:

Amy said...

Oh dear. Well at least the target spot has been found, and now the doctors can better direct her healing.

I'm glad that even though there have been some set backs and a few complications from having Ellie's rods put in, that you are still glad she had the surgery. The benefits will outlast the disadvantages.