Her breathing/junkiness/congestion is TERRIBLE!
She had many desaturation episodes during the night which led to a lot of suctioning.
This morning we had her on a nasal canula at 3 liters (she has only been needing 1/2 to 1 liter on previous mornings). I tried suctioning and couldn't bring her sats up. I put her bi-pap on (giving her breaths of air) and oxygen and still couldn't get her sats above 86.
The nurse called the respiratory therapist. He tried suctioning. She did 1 small cough for him which seemed to help. Right now she is satting OK with the bi-pap and O2 on...I don't dare touch her though because I am afraid she will desat again.
She is also sleepy today.
I asked the nurse to page the Dr.'s because I really think we need a chest x-ray and I want to get on top of this before it gets worse and we end up intubating her. That was at least an hour ago...I think we better page them again. I really think she has pnemonia. The only contradiction is that her CRP is not up...but maybe the antibiotics are masking the pnemonia or something. Or it may be a cold like rhinovirus...that is apparently running rampant through the hospital. All I know are... things in the breathing department are WAY worse today. And breathing is pretty important.
Rehab does not want to make any changes until we see what is going on with her lungs. I agree. Unless the baclofen and or valium are contributing by making her breathe more shallow...which is entirely possible.
3 comments:
Adenovirus too. We had that for about 3 weeks. Yuck!! Hopefully they can see something on xray or VRP.
One step forward, one step back.. it's like a game of whack-a-mole. I hope that they can get this figured out soon!
It's going to work out. It is.
Here's a ))HUG(( for you and Ellie.
XOXOXO
Post a Comment