Saturday, October 5, 2013

No MRI

OK, so they can't do an MRI at all because she has a vagel nerve stimulator (VNS) implanted.  Even though it has been turned off for years.  Her rods are OK and her baclofen pump is OK (although they would have to turn it off beforehand) and her shunt is OK, but not the VNS.  I don't understand what the difference is...they are all metal.

They weren't sure they would be able to get a good MRI anyway because the rods cause the light to refract and makes it difficult to get a good image.

So now they want to do an ultrasound of her spine.  It is scheduled for 11:30 or Noon tomorrow.  Ultrasound is not as good of an image as MRI, but at this point MRI is not an option for her.

I debated on several surgeries having them remove the VNS, but always thought if her seizures got bad, maybe we would come back and try the VNS again.

In some ways I want them to find something and in other ways I don't.

They are still going to make her switch to clear liquids a few hours before the ultrasound in case they see something and have to rush her in to surgery.  Although I think that is unlikely.


2 comments:

Dan said...

Mikael,

I'm sorry that they haven't completely figured things out yet. One thing that is very obvious to me is how blessed Ellie is to have you as an involved, knowledgeable, and caring advocate and mother. While I won't pretend to say that I can understand what you are feeling and going through with Ellie, I do want you to know that you are in my prayers and thoughts.

Bishop Gull

Amy said...

An ultrasound should be good. At least it's something. Hope it works out.