Neurosurgery is done. Dr. Walker said everything went good. Her catheter was nice and open. So she will only have the incision on the front, not front and back. He said that her previous pump was in the fascia (spell check), but now she has more fat. So he moved it closer to the surface of the skin. With it being deeper it makes it harder to find and reach the medicine port (to refill the medicine).
Also, I didn't know this...but rehab (the Dr. in charge of spacticity (tight muscles)) requested a larger pump be put in. The larger pump holds 40 CC of medicine. Dr. Walker said that it is not bigger around just a little thicker.
So due to the pump being moved closer to the surface and it being bigger it might be more noticable.
I'm a little frustrated that they didn't talk to me about the larger pump because her old pump held as much medicine as it needed to. She is on a fairly low dose such that when her pump is refilled we don't have to come back in for 6 months. Which is the maximum amount of time you can go between refills because the medicine doesn't last longer than that. So having a larger area to put the medicine isn't going to help us because she doesn't need to be able to hold any more medicine. Translation: It's not going to allow her to go any longer between refills.
But it's done now...what are you going to do. It's not that big of a deal...but they really should have talked with me about it.
Just waiting for ENT now.
2 comments:
I'm glad the surgery went well. Thanks for keeping us posted.
I love Dr. Walker. I'm so glad things went well.
Post a Comment