She just doesn't sleep the whole night while she is here...because people keep bugging her. But she slept most of the night.
Before school got out, they thought that she was using one of her vocalizations (her fake hiccups) to mean that she needed attention in the bathroom department. I think they were right. Good job school!
So last night at 3:00 when she was awake she did her fake hiccups I had the nurse cath her.
I guess I need to clarify my stance on being so stubborn about not cathing during the night. This is only her 2nd UTI in several years. Yes they were only a few week apart. But I feel like we are still trying to figure out the best cathing system for her (and deep down I am hoping wither with the brain reinflation or the the lowering the baclofen pump that she will start going on her own again).
We were only cathing 3 times a day, and that was not enough (since she got another UTI) so OK...let's increase the number.
So I think my new idea is....cath her 5 times a day with no cathing at night (unless she asks for it).
If she gets another UTI...then yes, I think the next step would be that we have to cath her at night. I just don't think we are there yet.
Her urine output has been within the limits that urology wants...they said they wanted 300-500 or less. As an example...yesterday she had out...125 (cath), 388 ( herself), 400 (cath), 150 (cath), 200 (cath), 100(cath). So the numbers look good.
A different urology resident came by (not the one that I have been clashing with) and he said it sounded fine. But yes, if she has another UTI we would need to do something about the night.
One of my friends that has a child with disabilities mentioned that we might not get up and go to the bathroom during the night, but we are also not getting fed tube feeds during the night. Crap, I honestly hadn't thought of that. She is on continuous feeds for 23 hours a day. I will have to see how I would feel about going back to daytime feeds only. We switched for her hypoglycemia. I might be willing to try it. But would have to monitor her blood sugar for a while to see if she could tolerate it. Typically everyone's blood sugar goes up in the morning anyway, so she might be OK. I don't know.
1 comment:
Sleep good you two! Thinking of you and sending prayers and good vibes your way. Love you both.
Post a Comment