Friday, July 19, 2013

Ellie is not a 60 year old man

The urology resident (I still haven't seen a Dr.) came by again this morning.  She says yes, they want us to cath her 5-6 times per day and they want the longest amount of time (even during the night) that she goes without cathing to be 4-6 hours.  

I said that is unreasonable.  That means I have to get up every 4-6 hours to cath her.  Plus it wakes Ellie up and she gets her days and night mixed up easily anyway.  I said that I go all night without going to the bathroom and most people do.

The resident said a lot of her patients at the VA hospital do get up every 4-6 hours to go to the bathroom.

I said "She is not a 60 year old man".

She said she has people set alarms to get up and cath themselves through the night.

I said that's not going to happen.

She gave me a lecture on how I was increasing her risk of infection, blah, blah and basically saying I was a bad Mom for not being willing to do this (no, she did not say this verbally).

No, I am NOT A BAD MOM!  I am a really really good Mom that is doing the best she can and it is too bad that this resident can't see this.  I am just realistic and trying to be honest with you.  I have to do what is best for Ellie and for myself.  If I don't take of myself then I am doing a disservice to Ellie and the rest of my family.

So she said that maybe we could leave a cathedar in draining all night and this might be a compromise they would be willing to make.  But it is really increasing the risk of infection.

I talked with Dr. Murphy about all of this when she came by and she said that we did not want to leave a cathedar in all night, it really really raises your risk of infection.  I talked with her about doing a bladder wash, or injecting an antibiotic into the bladder overnight.  She said she would write for it.  I said I will just let urology make their recommendations during this hospital stay and then I would call her to have her write for it.

Her arms are getting tighter so will be restarting botox injections.  And she (Dr. Murphy) wants us to get new arm splints.

We are headed down to the next CT at 11:00.

We will do another CT next Monday.


3 comments:

Amy said...

That's right! You are an EXCELLENT mom and are constantly aware of Ellie's needs and how to keep yourself replenished too. I'm glad you didn't let that urology resident bully you and take her message to heart. Yay for Dr. Murphy!! I knew she'd save the day.

Mrs. O said...

we let Ty go all night, and his urologist has had this discussion with us. we change him at 10and then definitely cath in the morning if he's not wet. going 8-10 hours is something most people do...as long as she isn't receiving pump feeds overnight (something most people don't do) and filling her bladder.

Joanne said...

You go girl! The health care specialist are not experts on Ellie--but you are! You are my hero! Stand your ground. And give Ellie a kiss for me.