Monday and Tuesday (and probably still today) the spots where the stitches went into her skin were really red. Maybe it was normal...but they seemed really red to me. (Not red around the spot...just exactly where the stitch went into the skin.
Last night she had a bulge where the new incision was (where the infection was). It was about 3" diameter and stuck out about 1/4 inch from her body.
I called the on-call Orthopedic surgeon. He said it was probably OK. He said that since it correlated with the stitches being removed it was probably related. He thought the wound was healed on the outside, but not the inside. So when we removed the stitches the tissue inside separated a bit and then her body sent fluid to fix the mess. He wanted us to put steri-strips back on it and put cold compresses on it also. I also gave her acetaminophen.
The ice pack seemed to help a bit. (not much).
The on-call Dr. said that as long as it was not hot to the touch, red, draining, fever, opening back up, then she should be OK.
Steri-strips are impossible to find...so we used butterfly bandages.
We are going to Primary Children's today for some appts so I will try to round up some steri-strips and or I am trying to get her in to see Dr. Klatt (but her is in surgery today). Maybe another Ortho can see her. Something.
It seems I can't so anything right. I know, I know...it's not my fault. But once again, it is easy to place blame.
Her blood looks good (from Monday). This is what Infectious Diseases said...
Inflammatory
markers are improved
CRP was 5.6 now down
to 2.6
ESR was 99 now down to 81
CBC good
EOS are improving and are almost normal.
3 comments:
IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT. Don't blame yourself. It's just how it all happened. Ellie will be all better in a couple more days and this rough road will have passed.
Glad her stats are improving and that she's recovering.
Mikael (and Ellie too), I'm sorry for all the complications. It really stinks that you've all had to endure so much with this surgery. I'm glad the bloodwork seems to be improving, and I hope Ellie is on the mend. FYI, you probably don't need them anymore, but A-1 medical sells steri-strips.
Jana
Mikael (and Ellie too), I'm sorry for all the complications. It really stinks that you've all had to endure so much with this surgery. I'm glad the bloodwork seems to be improving, and I hope Ellie is on the mend. FYI, you probably don't need them anymore, but A-1 medical sells steri-strips.
Jana
Post a Comment