Saturday, September 8, 2012

On-call

I called the orthopedic Surgeon on-call to see if #1) we could up her pain meds/switch her pain meds or #2) get her in to surgery sooner.

If you remember the first Lortab we got said she could have 1 mL every 4 hours. THen the second Lortab we got said she could have 10 mL every four hours...so I had called to see...they said 1 mL. So that is what we have been giving.

The on-call Dr. said that she could have 2-6 mL.

Uh-gee...I wonder why she has been in pain.

I guess I don't know which Dr. (meaning which prescription) to trust. But at this point, she needs more...so I'm giving her more (the amount the Dr. today said).

Sometimes Dr.'s are soooo frustrating.

I really hope this helps.

My friend "Mrs. Organic" said her son did better on oxycodone instead of hydrocodone after his ortho surgeries...so if this doesn't work, I will ask about that.

Something has to happen...and quick (today)...because Ellie and I can't take it.

3 comments:

Jennifer Adams said...

I have had that same issue with Lortab. Prescrip said 2-10ml. What? Dr. said 2ml. but then another Dr. said 10 ml because of her weight? What? Yes, messy and confusing.

mstans said...

Jennifer---what is with that? It can't possibly be that confusing. If there is a range...fine, tell us the range. Frustrating situation.

Amy said...

As a society, we look to doctors as the know-it-all about our bodies, medicine and diagnosis. But they are just human and guessing half the time, it seems. It's not fair to have so much uncertainty when there is a person's life on the line! Frustrating indeed.