She came this morning and we heard back from Dr. Roz about the results already.
The results from last week (from the drainage from the wound that they cultured) came back with 3 germs. Ecoli, Serratia and Clipsiela. All normal gut germs (that is exactly what Roz said).
From today (the blood) showed increased eosinophils (a type of white blood cells) and increased inflammatory markers. These tell Roz that she could be having or ready to have an allergic reaction to the antibiotic.
Thus, they want to change her antibiotic from meropenem to ceftriaxone. (Due to the possible allergic reaction and the results from the drainage from last week).
Many years ago she had a possible allergic reaction to IV Rocephin in the ER at McKay Dee. It wasn't bad, her tummy just turned blotchy and they gave her Benadryl and it went away. And her tummy turned blotchy for other reasons (no apparent reasons, just at random times), so I thought maybe it was just coincidence. Well, she has had oral antibiotics in the rocephin family many times since then, so I stopped telling people about it.
But when the Dr. said ceftriaxone, I thought...I better tell her about the rocephin and she said that ceftriaxone is rocephin (I didn't remember, I think the spirit must have prompted me). So now we are going to go to McKay Dee tomorrow morning and give the first dose in the ER.
I hope it works out. I am a stressed about it tonight. But at least we'll be in the ER if something goes wrong.
If they can't get the white blood cells to come down, then it could mean she has an absess and they would have to back in for more surgery. As I said before...BLECK!
She has been a little pale (yesterday) and for a few days now her heart-rate has really not gotten under 100. Otherwise she seems fine. Awake, no rashes, no pain, no irritability, no fevers, no drainage.
1 comment:
Wow, that was a close one. Glad you listened to the Spirit.
Post a Comment