Monday, August 8, 2011

Fighting the mask

I "slept" in the room last night.  (Notice how slept is in quotations!)  The nurse and RT were fighting the "Darth Ellie" mask all night long.  I didn't get up so I don't know how Ellie liked it.  I thought yesterday afternoon she didn't mind it at all.  But the nurse this morning said she was awake for most of the night.

When I came back in at 8:30 after my run they had switched her back to her normal face mask.  I think she seems more irritated with it than she was with the other one.  According to the plan yesterday when they come do her vest treatments they take her off the mask for 2 hours then put her back on the mask for 4 hours.  (That is what is written for in her chart even).

So the RT came while I was out, so she should be off the mask now.  But the nurse and/or RT decided to wait until they round because she is still decreased in her lower left lobe.  My understanding is she is going to be decreased for weeks (even after we go home).  We can't let that slow us down.  I understand their concern.  But I am frustrated with the lack of involving me in this decision.  I am not making it a big deal...they will be rounding soon.  She can wait until then.  I can almost guarantee that they want her to go ahead with the trials.

She is closing her eyes---but I think it's because she doesn't like the mask.  I haven't seen the bridge of her nose.  But they said it looks better after trying the other mask.  Now we are just going to make it flare up again.

Patience, kindness, understanding, breathe slowly

2 comments:

Mrs. O said...

Goodness but you are patient with them. SHe's really doing well.

Amy said...

Yes, remember how you love how patient Ellie is? She's ok. The staff have good intentions.

But still! ha ha ;)