Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Bair Hugger

So I called the Bair hugger company and they cannot sell them to an individual...it is regulated by the FDA.  You can get one in your home but it has to be through a home health company.  So the home health company has to purchase one, then they lease it to you.  THe employee at the Bair hugger company made it sound like it was a really complicated piece of medical equipment that needed to be under the supervision of a Dr.  Gee, it's really hard.  #1) Plug it in.  #2) Turn it on.  #3) Choose low, medium or high heat.

So then I looked on Amazon and ebay.  You can find them used on ebay for $350.  Which is a steal for a piece of medical equipment.    I had seen them there for this price before.  When I clicked on it to look at the description it says you must be an authorized medical equipment purchaser by law, etc...and they will ask for your federal number etc...  So that wasn't going to work for me to purchase one myself.

So I called IHC homecare (my normal homecare company) and talked to Jerry.  He said that they do not own one.  But he thought they could probably get one.  He needed to talk to Terry.  Terry knows us.  If there is any way to get us one, Terry will do it for us.

So that is pretty good news I think......I hope!

I asked the resident (or whatever level of Dr. she is) to write a letter saying that this is her documented temperatures and this is how low she got, etc...).  I think this could help in our search for a bair hugger.

A new bair hugger runs about $1200-$1300.  The blankets run about $7 each.  But I am not authorized to buy either one.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Looks like it's time to go into business!! "Ellie's Blanket Co." I'll be the first customer. As long as I can have the $7 one. Not the $1200-$1300 one. ;)

I hope Terry can get one for you too! Keeping my fingers crossed. And you're right. It's super easy "medical equipment". Just as easy an electic blanket. Funny.