Sun morning Ace noticed that Ellie was drooling blood tinged saliva. I looked in Ellie's mouth and she had these spots all over her tongue and the bottom side of her tongue was bleeding. I wasn't too worried, I figured it was a virus.
Remember on Wed Instacare said she had an ear infection and a sinus infection. Then Fri after the initial blood work in the ER the Dr. thought she had an ear infection and a virus.
So I figured the spots were the virus.
At the same time she was also coughing a lot more and it was wet and junky. I figured the infection was clearing out, but I wanted to make sure the slight pnemonia wasn't getting worse.
But I thought I'd take her to Instacare anyway. I was going to take her to her pediatrician in Layton. But when I sat her up in the wheelchair her sats weren't nearly as good. THey were hovering around 88-89 even with o2 with a few occasional dips to 86.
So then I decided to take her to south ogden instacare instead. When we got there they said that it was an hour wait (the Dr. forgot he was working). So then I was trying to decide go to Ogden Regional ER, Ogden CLinic instacare, or Primary CHildrens ER.
When I left the house I hadn't thought that this was "ER worthy" but then when her sats weren't great I started worrying about the pnemonia being worse.
So I said a prayer to know what to do. I thought..."turn up the oxygen". And I was like "that is a really good idea, why didn't I think of that?" So when I went to turn it up I saw that the oxygen wasn't turned on all the way. So I turned it on and then her sats were much better. I thanked Heavenly Father and proceeded to Ogden CLinic Instacare.
When I explained to the front desk what was going on, they said "If it was bad enought to be in the ER yesterday, then that's where you should be today." I said "It's a totally different problem". They said, "That's where you need to go."
So I loaded Ellie back in the van for a third time and went to the ER. The funny thing was at the ER we have had the same nurse for the last 3 visits (all in the last few weeks).
I was kind of embarrassed to be there, because it really wasn't an emergency.
THey did a repeat chest x-ray, looked at her previous labs (from when she was there Fri) and looked at her tongue.
He thought her tongue was Thrush (a yeast infection). The antibiotics had killed all of the good bacteria and let the bad bacteria take over. THey gave her a prescription for us to spread around inside her mouth. (It is a liquid, like mouthwash).
The x-ray looked about the same. On Fri they said a possible pnemonia. On Sun he said it was a pnemonia on the right side. But it didn't look worse and since her oxygen needs were decreasing, he wasn't worried about it.
THe blood and urine from Fri were clean. THe snot was growing Gram Negative Bacteria. So it was not a virus. THe amoxicillan that she had started on Wed night does not cover gram negative bacteria so they started her on another antibiotic.
Monday she needed 1/2 liter of oxygen in the morning and 1/4 by evening. I turned it up to 2 during the night just to be safe.
Today she is feeling much better. She looks better, feels better. SHe is only on 1/8 liter of oxygen She is still occassionally coughing. She is awake and alert. She doesn't want to sit up in her wheelchair. I'm not sure if it's the pnemonia or the scoliosis. No suctioning needs today. Today her tongue is looking 70% better. I tried taking pictures of it on Sunday, but they didn't turn out. She still had a fever of 99.7 this morning, but it came down with wet rags and ibuprofen.
It seems that during the night or early morning is when she has the most trouble with her temp.
A few more days and she'll be as good as new.
So this week we had 3 visits to Instacare, 2 visits to the ER and 1 ride in the ambulance.
No comments:
Post a Comment