Friday, February 8, 2019

Face better, legs worse Fri 1 AM (Post #4)

The nurses were concerned at 1 AM about low blood pressure.  They also tried taking her temperature and tried both the axillary (armpit) and tympanic (ear) and kept thinking that the machines were broken.  I got up and told them that they had to go to the storage room and get a $1 throw away thermometer...those read to a lower temperature.

Her temp is the lowest of anyone I know...even out of all of my hundreds of special needs friends.  The nurses have a hard time adjusting their thinking and they have not dealt with it before so they don't know how to handle it.

When the nurse came back with the thermometer her temp was 90F...which is below her normal range.  Her normal temp is (93F-95.5F).  90 is not unheard of for Ellie.  But it does mean you need to take action.  I am pretty vigilant about her temp, so it rarely goes below 91 anymore.  But it still happens sometimes.

I said they needed to warm her up.  They said how?  I said Baer hugger.  I love love love the baer Hugger.  I want one.  I can't get one.  It is like a disposable blanket with holes in it like an upside down hockey table.  The machine hooks up to the blanket and blows hot air into the blanket and the hot air comes out the holes onto the patient.

They assume that the low blood pressure is due to the low temp.

Her face looks better at 1 but arms and legs look worse.  The arms and legs look more like welts now.

She is not declared septic yet.  But they are still keeping that as a possibility.

She has haziness throughout her lungs on xray...and they just keep saying her lungs sound diminished.  This means she is not moving good air in her lungs.

This is not going to be an in and out hospital stay.  This is going to take a bit I have a feeling.


Pics from 1 AM Fri






No comments: