Thankfully she was not in status (ongoing seizure) yesterday. Status is bad, bad, bad. I know 2 kiddos that have died in status. I was really worried when her eyes were not constricting and they were worried about status.
Her eyes seem fine today. Maybe she got too much ativan.
Once they determined that she was not in status, they moved her to the floor (out of ICU).
The ENT resident came by last night and looked with a tool through her nostrils to the back of her throat, she does not have stuff draining from the sinuses. She still thought she has a sinus infection (due to the CT). She recommended started afrin nasal spray 3 sprays, 3 times a day for 3 days and starting augmentin...but she needed to check with her attending. She also said that her ears looked good, but she could see some drops still sitting in there.
A different set of ENT residents came by this morning and said her ears are still draining. They said her left ear is worse. I didn't even notice it...but she does have some bloody fluid coming out of her left ear this morning. I asked how they could tell it was drainage and not drops (since the resident the night before said the opposite) and he said they looked differently. So I don't know if the drainage changed since last night, or if residents don't know what they are talking about.
It is obviously draining since there is bloody fluid coming out.
Maybe the problem is the ears, not the sinus'.
I would like to talk to an actual ENT Dr. (attending).
You know how I feel about teaching hospitals...grrrrrr.
She had a BOATLOAD of seizures last night. At least 4-5 desat seizures. The lowest I saw her o2 was in the 60's and each episode lasted about 2-3 minutes. Then this morning I think she was doing her vertical nystagmis (eyeball bouncing) a little bit, but it stopped...so I'm not 100% sure that was a seizure.
3 comments:
I sure hope that they can get things figured out soon. How unsettling to not know exactly what is going on. I think it's wonderful how your knowledge of Ellie helps to guide the medical treatment that she gets. What a gift of love.
You will be rewarded for your patience and tolerance of Primary's being a teaching hospital Mikael.
Sorry about the seizures Miss Ellie. :/ I know everyone is trying his/her best to help you out. Lots of prayers coming your way, my dear.
Where is the attending? They should still be rounding at some point, shouldn't they? We used to round two to three times a day. Once with the attending and the rest alone.I don't like teaching hospitals either, although I try to be patient as I saw the benefits first hand. I'm glad she is not in status. Scary.
Post a Comment