Sunday, September 19, 2010

Foot surgery, but wait...there's more

Tomorrow (Monday) Ellie goes in to Primary's for foot surgery.  Her foot twists in so much that we can't fit braces on it any more.  So they are going to go in and lengthen the tendons.  She needs to have her foot straight in order to wear the braces.  She needs to wear the braces so that she can to weight bearing in her stander.  She needs to be able to stand so that her hips develop right.  If her hip sockets don't form correctly then her hips will come out and then she will need hip surgery (which is a really big surgery).  Her hips are already coming out, so really this will just prolong the inevitable.  THey will for sure do her Left foot and might do both.  Afterwards she will need a series of casts to help it heal correctly (serial casting).

While she is out they will also be cleaning out her sinus' and putting tubes in her ears.  She gets sinus infections about avery 6 weeks.  And gets ear infections probably every other or every third month.  SO she is on antibiotics ALOT.  WHich is bad because then you become immune to antibiotics and then you are more likely to get a "super bug".

Needless to say she is slated to go to ICU after surgery and should supposedly come home on Tuesday.  I'm not keeping my fingers crossed.  I would be happy if she makes it home Wed or THurs.

The only kicker is that she currently has a sinus infection clearing out.  So she has a junky cough.  It is not in her lungs, it is all upper respiratory.   I talked to outpatient surgery and ENT on Friday about it.  THey said if she doesn't get a fever and the secretions stay clear or white (vs green or brown) then she will probably be OK to go ahead with the surgery.  SHe has been on antibiotics for 7 days which they said was good.  We'll see.  Maybe they'll see her in the morning and decide to postpone.

THe one other thing going against her is that she got her botox/phenol injections on Thurs for her tight arms/hands/shoulders.  So she is in pain for that.  SO we have been giving her acetaminophen.  Which I suppose could be masking a fever.  I gave her meds at 8:30 AM this morning and didn't give her more until 9 PM tonight and she didn't have a fever.  But she was crying (I'm assuming from pain).

I am more nervous for this surgery than I am usually #1 since she is sick #2 becuase this is the 1st surgery since we almost lost her last winter.  It really made me realize how fragile she is and how precious life is. 

We check in at 6 AM and surgery is scheduled for 7:30 AM.  I'm not sure how long the surgery will last, I will find out in the morning.

Ellie, me and our family would love prayers of comfort and peace.

2 comments:

Becki said...

Best of luck. You all will be in our prayers.

Chels said...

Keep strong! That's a lot for Ellie to have to go through. I'll definitely pray for her and your fam! ♥