Saturday, January 30, 2010

CT

So the CT showed that her lateral and 4th ventricles in her brain were slightly larger than in previous scans. But they did not show any pressure.

To explain...all of us have ventricles (spaces) in our brain filled with fluid. These act as a cushion. If we didn't have these spaces then every time we got a slight bump on the head it would knock us out or damage our brain. Ellies ventricles are enlarged and always have been. Now they are saying they are slightly larger than they have been before.

When they look at fluid in the brain it is like a water balloon. If you have an empty balloon the sides are floppy and wavy. If you fill the balloon with water then the sides of the balloon are smooth. So when you have pressure in your ventricles then the sides look smooth.

So yes they are slightly larger than normal, but they are not showing the signs of pressure.

On Fri the pediatrician talked to the on call neurosurgeon about the results. The neurosurgeon (fellow or resident)did not think that this could be causing any of her problems, but he said that he would talk to ELlie's Dr. on Mon.

We are not sure ont he blood work results. The Pediatrician called me from his cell phone after he left his office.

Her sinus' did show a little stuff (i'm not sure what he said) but still probably not the cause of all of her problems. The ENT has wanted to go back in and clean them out. She had her tonsils, adenoids and sinus' done in the beginning of Sept. She had a sinus infection a week or two later. SO her wanted to go back in and look at them again. But she has not been well enough.

The pediatrician is wondering if she can't handle stress. Remember her thyroid results were weird and her cortisol levels were normal even though it should have been elevated (since she was in stress). He is going to call the pediatric endocrinologist on Mon. He suggested we might have to act as though her endocrine gland (I think that is what he said---I didn't write it down)is not working and give her meds for that. Then in the winter put her on hydrocortisone. He also thinks that it might be related to her hypoglycemia.

If all works out---we'll know more on Monday.

FOr now she is keeping her temp up. We are keeping a blanket on her all of the time. Bundling her well when we go out. We rush from house to car as fast as we can. As soon as I get her in the house I put her in front of a space heater (she loves it and signs more, more, more). We are taking her temp tons of times a day.

Today we took her to Ace's basketball game. It was freezing in the gym. I was worried. SHe did drop a little---to 93.5, but I thought that was pretty good. She has been running in the 95's and 96's typically.

She feels warm. It is weird because she has ALWAYS felt SOOOOOOO cold!

It has been 10 days since we started the med. We don't have to take the BP anymore. YEAH! I really didn't like that. If we have to do it again, I'm buying an automatic BP machine. I don't care if it does cost $100. It would be worth it.

She has stopped being clammy and pale.

I think she is doing pretty good! It is a lot of work to keep her warm, but it seems to be working.

SHe was awake all day today. She did start crying about 6 PM for unknown reasons. we gave her ibuprofen. It seemed to help.

I wouldn't be surprised if she is sleepy tomorrow because we have had 2 late nights in a row.

Ellie and I both got a blessing tonight. We have had a rough week.

1 comment:

Chantel said...

I think you can get them cheaper than $100. I just got an email for one the other day that was $20, I think. It probably wasn't a peds cuff, though. Maybe they're more? I'll check at work. A lot of times we can get things cheaper through our medical suppliers.