Sometimes I get really frustrated with Dr.'s.
So the team taking care of her has spoken with Roz's team (infectious dieseases) and with endocrine. I have not actually spoken with Roz, but endocrine came by.
Roz suggested that we stop the IV antibiotics and go to an oral (which in our case means g-tube) antibiotic (Cipro in this case). I said that made me nervous because every Roz I have ever talked to has said 6 weeks of IV antibiotics followed by 4 and a half months of oral. This is the protocol that they have said is needed to keep the infection from coming back. Now they are straying from that and it makes me nervous that the infection will come back.
The resident and Dr. telling me this tried to tell me that Cipro is available in IV or Oral and they are equally absorbable by the body.
So then I ask "Then why didn't they do the oral cipro in the first place?"
Then the Dr. says that sometimes they don't like to give cipro to kids because it can cause a "tightening of the achilles tendon".
Is that really the answer you want to give, or do you want to think up some other nonsense.
Very frustrated with them and their plan right now.
They said infectious diseases would be by tomorrow (Sunday). I hope they have better answers than I got today.
Endocrine came by. They want to check her cortisol and maybe some other things, she needed to look over her previous labs.
Endocrine also wants to increase her proglycem (the med that blocks the insulin which allows her blood sugar to be higher) from .05 mL twice a day to 0.6 mL twice a day. If that doesn't do the trick then we will go up to 0.7 mL twice a day. Even 0.7 is a low dose for her.
Endocrine would like her blood sugars to be stable for a day on her own (without IV sugars) before going home.
There is a new glucagon protocol that she is going to get me (that would tell me when to give the glucagon). Glucagon was the emergency injection I gave for low blood sugar.
As an interesting side note she said that some people are on a glucagon pump (instead of an insulin pump).
1 comment:
"a tightening of the achilles tendon"?!?! Ha haa!! That is laughable. I like how you said, "is that really the answer you want to give, or do you want to think of some other nonsense." Totally true.
No wonder you get really frustrated with doctors sometimes.
Post a Comment