Friday, October 5, 2012

Lisa

This is not a medical post, but I needed to share my feelings.

Ellie has deaf-blindness.  It means that she is considered both deaf and blind.  That being said...she can see and hear, just not as well as other people.

There are not many Deaf-blind parents around.  The last count that I heard was about 120 kids between 0-21 with deaf-blindness in Utah.  There is a conference every year in September or October for parents of children with deaf-blindness in Utah.  It is sacred to Jason and I.  It is a time where we can fit in and feel normal.

I was catching up on one of the other DB mom's blogs and she had linked to another DB Mom's blog, Lisa. Lisa passed away about a year ago.  Lisa was a beautiful writer and every entry on her blog was inspiring.  She knew how to put into words just what I was feeling and wished that I could say to those around me.  She was outgoing, fun-loving and friendly.  I miss her.

Here is a link to the post that brought back all of these memories.  Her little boy is the one with the orange shirt in the top 2 pics and by himself in the bottom pic.  It is beautifully written and expresses so many thoughts and feelings that I feel.

http://lisasramblings.com/2009/05/31/id-like-to-write-a-book

1 comment:

Amy said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend Lisa passing away. That's so so sad. Had you ever met her?Her post was really insightful for me. Thanks for re-posting.

I think you seem normal Mikael. I love how you and Jason, and your kids live, and do regular family things. You do great at being normal.

I admit that I do feel itimidated by Ellie sometimes, but I'm trying to step away from that be normal around her too. I have a desire to get to know her better but I just don't know exactly how... I always feel a sweetness and a purity around her.

I'll try to do better and learn from Lisa's post. I love you!