Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Cast off

We were 3.5 weeks into the last serial casting on her right arm.  Her seizures were phenomenolly bad.  She was having a seizure every 15-20 minutes.  So I took the cast off at home.

Serial casting is done with a soft cast material.  It looks and feels like a regular cast but it is a little bit squishy.  You can unwrap it at home without having to go to the ER and have it cut off.  You cannot put it back on.

Her seizures went down almost immediately.

Her hand was very swollen and puffy for 4 or so days.  She had petted a snake at school, so we thoguht there was a remote possibility that she was allergic to snakes.  But I really didn't think so because it was swollen before she touched the snake.  Finally I called the Dr.  He asked if it was red, painful or getting worse.  I said no.  He said it would go down on it's own.  He just said to elevate it.  I was like, "duh, I should have thought of that".  Anyway we elevated it for 2 days and it went down to normal.

No comments: