Sunday, December 30, 2018

Back in the Saddle Again

Ellie was admitted to PCH today.  Nothing big.  I think we will be home soon.  Cross fingers.  Did you cross them?  Do it.  Cross your fingers.  I am not joking here.

She has been having stomach spasms for a few weeks now.  Pretty infrequently.  So I have been keeping my eye on it.

Seizures have increased this week.  Seizures increase when she is sick.  So this is probably a side-effect of being sick, not an actual symptom.

Decrease of secretions when suctioning.  Usually means junk is settling into lungs.

Elevated temp yesterday and today.

Increased heart rate since Wed.  Probably due to constipation.  I did a bowel cleanout yesterday.  HR seems better today.

Needed O2 yesterday and today and normally doesn't.

Today while I was sitting by her at a funeral her stomach spasms were going on for about 75-80% of the time.  Plus she had the elevated temp. 

Something just seemed off.

We decided today was probably the best day to go to the Emergency Room. 

When you have a complex kid you can sometimes plan what time or what day you want to go to the ER.  hahahhahaha.  I know it seems weird...it has the word EMERGENCY in the name.  But I could have continued to take care of her for a few days and watched her at home without her dying I think.  But we still wouldn't have any answers.  So to get answers we needed to choose a time to come to the Emergency room.

For typical developing kids, when your kid is sick you just go to the pediatrician.  And I do too with Ellie.  But I have enough experience to know when it is a simple case and when the pcp would just send me to Salt Lake anyway.  So in the more complicated cases I skip the pediatrician and go straight to Primary Children's.

We did a chest X-ray, abdominal xray, snot, blood, urine.

Everything was clear.  Which is good I guess.  But the entire time in the emergency room the spasms and seizures were way worse.  It was pretty much non-stop...either a spasm or a seizure ALL THE TIME.

They admitted us.  With no answers or ideas.

On the floor the resident did an exam and thought that her left ear looked like an ear infection.  She called in her "High Commander" and they agreed.

So there's that.  She has never had stomach spasms with an ear infection.  But hey...compared to the evil things I was worried about...I would totally take it.

I am still worried that there may be more going on.  But blood-work and everything looks good.  So they are baffled for now.

We will see how the night goes.

No comments: