3:30 PM
She had multiple desats last night, only into the high 80's, but still. I'm not sure if it was due to an inexperienced RT that didn't know how to suction very well?!?!?! Perhaps.
Today her breathing sounds slightly obstructed to me, kind of like snoring.
But she is doing well.
She has been on the nasal cannula all day so far and is back on her normal night time settings.
Today we lowered her breathing treatments to 3 times a day during daytime hours. She can have a middle of the night treatment if she needs it, but it is not scheduled.
At this point I just want to ignore all the weird things I am still worried about, like elevated temp, desats, obstructed breathing etc. I just want to go home.
Right now her temperature is actually low (even for her) 90.9 F. Going super cold is actually more normal for her. We are working on warming her up right now with warm blankets (which won't work, but are better than nothing) while the nurse gets orders from the Dr. for the Baer Hugger.
The Dr.'s are still checking to see if we can get both the Tobi and the Avycaz at home or if we need to stay through the 8th for those.
4 PM
The resident is giving me grief over asking for the baer hugger. He is telling the nurse he wants to try ...
#1) Warm blankets...which are not warm enough to work on Ellie. About 5-7 years ago the hospital made a new "safety rule" and lowered all of the temperatures of the blanket warmers...they are pointless for Ellie now. By the time they get them out of the warmer and to the patient they are barely warm. And against Ellie's cold body they are not aggressive enough. I tease that she is like a lizard and has to get her body heat from outside sources like a lizard laying on a warm rock. PS, if anyone sees a warm rock, please send it our way!
#2) He wants to do a rectal temp. I should probably just agree so that he can see...duh...she's cold she needs the baer hugger. But instead I feel like...HELLO! What have I been telling you is her normal? I tried very clearly stating to the Dr yesterday that to maintain her "normal" temps she has sweats and long sleeves on all the time, a warm blanket ALL the time and an electric blanket multiple times per day. THIS IS NORMAL! We don't need to be shoving something into my 16 YO daughters bum. Trust the Mom! Get me the Baer Hugger! Anyway...I very calmly told the nurse that I would like to speak to the resident. She said OK.
We NEVER EVER have a hospital stay were we do not need the Baer Hugger.
Medical Memes






No comments:
Post a Comment