Her blood work has not looked good for several weeks now. They (Roz) and we kept hoping that it would pick back up...but it's not, it's actually worse.
Her total white count is 2.2 and should be 4.5-13
Her platelettes are 84 and should be 150-400
Her neutrafils are 800 and should be 1200-8000
Her eos are 7% (but have been 11% so not the worst that they have seen them)
Basically they are suspecting a drug interraction, meaning that her antibiotic (Cipro) is not allowing her bone marrow to produce white blood cells.
So we are stopping Cipro and starting Levofloxacin. There is a 30-40% chance that the new drug will have the same effect.
If it does not help, they may send us to hematology (blood Dr.'s).
They are going to check labs next Mon and Thur.
We have to get in 6 months of antibiotics and they are running out of options. At six months if the infection seems to still be a problem I am pretty sure they will remove the rods and the baclofen pump and tubing. I could be wrong, but what I think they told me is that by 6 months teh spine will have fully fused so she wouldn't actually need the rods anymore, but her back would stll be straight. I don't know if I buy it because her bones are so soft.
Not the news we were hoping for. Although it may explain why she has had a stuffy nose for soooooo long (if her white blood cells are down it can't fight infection as well.
I have also been thinking about the seizures...if she is not feeling good (white blood count is down) it could cause her to have increased seizures. And I am also wondering if the onfi (seizure med) is interfering with her proglycem. We never had problems with blood sugar until we started the onfi and when we increased the onfi her blood sugar seems to be lower and has never really gotten back to normal.
In good news...She has stopped having the night-time desaturations (dips in oxygen) and she seems to be staying more alert during the days (now that she is used to the higher dose of seizure med...but it took about 2 weeks).
1 comment:
Yes I too have questioned the Onfi. We have problems with sugar being too low as well. And sodium levels too high.
Post a Comment