3 weeks ago ELlie had an ear infection in her Right ear. SHe did 10 days of oral antibiotics and ear drops. SHe was not in pain after the 10 days, but still had a junky cough. THe doctor prescribed another 10 days of oral antibiotics. After a total of 20 days on antibiotics she still had a junky cough.
A few days off the antibiotics and the cough got junkier. IT still sounded like it was all upper airway (not down ito her lungs).
Then one day she came home from school and she was in pain. Also, she was breathing strangely. SHe could breath in OK but then paused and grunted when she was exhaling.
I thought maybe she needed to go #2. So I gave her an enema. THere was a small amount of soft stool, but not enough that that would have been the problem.
Her sats (oxygen) were still good. Her heartrate was elevated and she did have a temp of 98 degrees F. (Her normal is 95.5).
I took her to the Dr. the next afternoon. He thought there was some congestion in her chest right where the wind pipe and the food pipe break off into the lungs. So he wanted to do a chest X-ray and a CBC.
THe x-ray didn't really show anything, but it's really hard to get a good one of her anyway. THe white blood cells were up and something else was up too (can't remember what).
He thought that it looked like a slight bacterial pnemonia. He prescribed 2 antibiotics. One of them was a really strong one. THe other is just a normal one.
So yesterday (the first day on antibiotics) she slept from 9:30 to 2:30. She was so sleepy and out of it that her sats were dropping, so I had to put her bi-pap mask on with O2 hooked up. I was really getting worried. Usually when she is this sick we are in the hospital. WHat if she took a turn for the worse etc... I really thought we were going to be down at Primary's within a day or 2.
However at 2:30 she woke up and was happy and wide awake. Her sats were fine her heartrate was only slightly elevated. She did great all afternoon, last night and today. No ISSUES AT ALL.
Truly a CHristmas miracle.
4 comments:
I'm glad she is feeling better. I hope she has a better winter this year than last year!
That's wonderful. Keep fighting Ellie and Merry Christmas!
Yea Ellie! Glad you're feeling better. Hope you and your family have a fabulous Christmas! We miss you! :-) The Frodshams.
A Christmas miracle (with a little extra help from the antibiotics) indeed. I was so glad to see her in Primary on Sunday. Didn't expect that.
Merry Christmas Ellie.
Post a Comment