Thursday, September 24, 2020

Drugged up (Day 3 post 4)

(Thur Morning)

No seizures this AM.  She is awake, but is really loopy and out of it...drugged up.

This is to be expected. Before this hospital stay she was taking 750 mg of keppra a twice a day.  Now she is taking 1000 mg of keppra AND 150 mg of vimpat twice a day.  Seizure meds usually have a side effect of sleepiness, but usually you get used to it and you won’t be as sleepy after awhile.

Her temp was 90 F this AM (super low).  I told them we needed to get a Baer hugger to warm her up.  Like usual the nurses didn’t know what it was or where to get it or how to use it.  Hahahaha.  Since we use it basically every time we are inpatient, I know the ins and outs.

ENT wants us to flush her ear with 1/2 strength white vinegar, but they don’t have it in the hospital, so I ran to the store and bought some.

When I came back they had called a code SEPSIS on her due to her temp.  Grrrr...I swear this happens every time I leave.  Either the nurses do something they haven’t talked to me about or Ellie crashes or something.  I think if I had been here I could have talked them out of it.  But actually I think it turned out well, let me explain.

Sepsis is a whole body blood infection.  You are really sick and can die.  They have certain vital sign parameters and if you are above or below those parameters they call a code sepsis and follow a certain protocol.  The protocol includes drawing blood, checking vitals every fifteen minutes, giving a bolus of fluid through the IV, starting antibiotics and having additional drs and nurses taking care of her and everything is done STAT, which means as soon as possible.

So at first when they were telling me they called a code sepsis I wanted to fight them and talk them off their ledge.  But then they explained that due to her seizures, high heart rate yesterday, low temp today and coughing up blood tinged secretions they wanted to start her on antibiotics.

That is exactly what I wanted, antibiotics.  So I decided it was best to keep my mouth shut and let them do their code sepsis because it would include antibiotics.


1 comment:

Ginny said...

This is my favorite part, “ That is exactly what I wanted, antibiotics. So I decided it was best to keep my mouth shut and let them do their code sepsis because it would include antibiotics.” I can so see the whole interaction leading up to this. Glad she’s getting help.