Last night her temperature was very cold. Thankfully we were in ICU where they have immediate access to the Baer hugger to warm her up. When she gets cold on other units it is a big production and usually a fight to get a Baer hugger. We will be watching her temperature for signs of infection.
Ellie spent the night in ICU again.
This morning I woke up to Ellie coughing a junky cough. I hopped out of bed to suction her. I put the suction cath through her mouth to the back of her throat and she coughed again and it was a quite a bit of bright red blood. The nurse was not in the room. She looked at the suction tubing later and saw old blood stuck inside the tube. When I tried telling the Dr.'s about the bright red blood she counteracted me and said it was old blood (dark red instead of bright red). I know the difference. We are watching to see if there is any more blood.
Her hemoglobin was low so they gave her a blood transfusion today. Probably due to how much blood she lost with the nose bleeds the day before. It was a lot! It was like a murder scene...blood everywhere.
They pulled out the packing from the 2nd nostril. So she was able to restart the nasal cannula with humidity today. SHe has been satting high 90's on only 1/2 liter (which is what she has been on at home)
She is back up to full feeds.
Her mouth, lips and tongue are really swollen from the trauma caused by suctioning/pulling out the blood clots on Thursday.
Her left eye is really swollen from the IV fluids and she keep her head to the left.
The Dr. came and cut her casts open yesterday (Fri) to allow for swelling and that was a good move, her feet feel like a better temperature today.
Today has been calm.
We will be moving to the floor soon (out of ICU) and possibly/probably home tomorrow.
I am not sure if she will start school on Monday. Her face looks pretty beat up.
She has only needed Tylenol for pain
Lungs sound good so far.
The rodeo chair that Jason brought from home will work great at supporting her legs in casts.
I tried to be extra nice to the nurses and Dr.'s today....I think it came across as being nonchalant instead of kind. However, I don't think I made anyone cry today. (Except Ellie with suctioning....hahahaha).
2 comments:
I wish I knew the right things to say. I read your posts and just can't imagine what you go through and what things are like for Ellie. Sending you all love and prayers!
Oh,Mikael and Ellie, so sorry you are going thru this ordeal. I wish I was home to help. Mikael, you are so amazing with your defense and concern for Ellie. You are going thru a lot and personally I don't feel you need to feel badly about trying to do what is best for Ellie. They need to have some compassion for the very stressful situation you are in. I love you and are so proud of you.you are amazing. Ellie is.Lucky to have such a wonderful mom.
Post a Comment