Today was Ellie's eleventh birthday.
I am truly amazed and humbled by this.
We were told before she was born that she could be #1)stillborn or #2)die in the first year or #3)if she lived she would be severely disabled or #4)there was the possibility she could live a normal life. We were given the option of aborting. (Which we never considered for a moment).
I cannot believe what she and we have accomplished in 11 years.
The HARDEST and MOST REWARDING 11 years of my life to date.
I always say that I would not wish having a child with disabilities on my worst enemy and yet I would not trade it for anything in the world. I know that sounds terrible. But guess what...it's hard. And guess what else...I love Ellie and I love the things I have learned from her and the experiences which have been literally forced upon me.
This was a really hard birthday for me because one time when Ellie was little Jason and I tried to guess how long we thought she would "make it" before we lost her. We thought either 8 or 11. And it still could happen of course, but it was really hard to accept her turning 11. (I know silly...from some silly postulating with no basis for fact...but life and feelings don't always make sense.)
I call this her medical blog, but I probably need to brag a bit about her accomplishments...
She can do many signs (with her arms, fingers, legs, head, eyes, facial expressions)
She knows her name
She knows familiar people and places
She can request more or finished
She can use a switch to control toys or her environment
She can control a computer mouse with her eyes
She can make choices with objects or pictures or the computer
She knows her colors by color, or written word
She knows her body parts
She can read a few words...FOR REAL!
She can love unconditionally
She has the patience of a SAINT
She is so trusting
She is a fighter
She makes the best of every situation
She is so positive
She loves people
She has preferences
She has feelings
She is a child of God
3 comments:
Happy Birthday, Ellie!!!!
Love this, Mikael. Thanks for sharing your feelings. You are an amazing young woman. We are so glad you married our son. Happy Birthday to you too!
Love you so very much.
Mom S.
Ellie,
I am so amazed by all that you have accomplished, learned, and shared with all of us over the last eleven years. You are an example to us all of patience, love, perseverance, optimism, and faith. You are so blessed to have such wonderful parents that have been by your side while they have taught you and you have taught them. You are so blessed to have such wonderful siblings who adore and share their love with you as you share your love with them. By allowing us to serve you, you have served us. We have been uplifted. Our faith in and our love for our Father in heaven has increased. You are truly a child of God and I am a better person because I have known you and have been a witness to your goodness and strength.
Happy Birthday!
Your friend and Bishop,
Bishop Gull
That is absolutly beautiful!! Thank you for sharing your feelings Mikael. I try to be understanding and empathic with you and Ellie and your family, but I'll never truly get it. And yet, you've given me an awareness and an education that I really value.
I appreciate all the blog posts you write and the ins and outs of Ellie's life and your side of it too. I may not have a special needs child, but I have Ellie as my friend and she really is all those wonderful things you listed. Happy Birthday Ellie! I hope you have many more years to come so your sweet influence can be felt by more people. I love you.
Post a Comment