Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Scare

Sat night Ellie was gagging and coughing during the night.

Sun morning it seemed like she had stuff draining down her throat which was making her cough/gag. So I went between conference sessions and got her some meds.

I love the pharmacists at Smiths on Country Hills and Harrison. One time she was really bloated and gas-x said not to use under age 12...I asked the pharmacist and he said it would be fine...just give her 3/4 of one.

Anyway...so this time I said I needed a liquid childrens nasal decongestant/dry out your sinus' kind of thing.

They got me Sudafed D (behind the counter). I asked if it dries out your sinus' or just makes them drain. He said that one makes them drain, but benadryl will dry them out. I didn't think I wanted them to just drain because she was already gagging and coughing and I didn't want it to lead to pnemonia. Without me asking he said..."you can give both at the same time". I said "then that's what I want to do."

I asked if you have to alternate them he said no you can give both at the same time.

It seemed to help for the rest of Sunday.

Monday morning she had a fever of 100.7 rectally. Her oxygen was hanging out at 88%. We cooled her down and put oxygen on her. I was really worried some of the drainage had gotten to her lungs and caused pnemonia. I took her to the Dr. a few hours later. He thought it was just a cold. BUt to keep a close eye on it because it could develop into something worse (like pnemonia).

Tues she did fantastic. She needed oxygen in the morning but went without out it for the rest of the day.

I kept her home from school today again because I didn't want her exposed to all of the germs at school.

I was really really worried a few days ago because I am going on a trip Thur-Sat and I didn't want to be gone if things went bad for Ellie.

She seems to have perked right up and is doing great. As long as she doesn't pick anything else up.

It was truly a blessing from the Lord.

We are trying to be super diligent about doing her vest treatment 3 times a day (normally it is only 2) sitting her up and doing regularly scheduled suctioning to cause coughing.

1 comment:

Amy said...

What a wonderful blessing from the Lord. I'm glad you have good pharmacists too. I'm sure your diligence on vest treatments, etc is helping too.